First bream on plastics

It was a sunny and calm day and not surprisingly our destination was completely crowded with fishermen and women wishing to try their luck. There did not seem to be much around apart from some small fish splashing around on the surface. My brother tried a small chrome lure and after a few casts was surprised to be hit by a near legal tailor. I tried to change over to plastics, a 2 inch sandworm, and I was able to hook up small tailor on every cast. One hook up seemed slightly heavier, and after a short fight, up came a bream. It was only a tiddler, but after hearing how hard it is to catch bream on plastics, I thought it was worth putting it up.



There was not much else on offer for the rest of the day. We were able to catch a squid at the end of the day, again another tiddler, barely the size of the squid jig itself! We tried to put it out live, but was smashed by snapper.


Soft Plastics session on Georges River

Atrocious weather for the last two weeks, and so I have not been able to get out for a decent fish of late. The rain was a bit on and off today, so being better safe than sorry we decided to have a quick session down under the Captain Cook’s bridge. I decided not to get my hands dirty on bait, so I gave the soft plastics a go. I recently bought a new pack of Berkley Gulp! 2 inch Sandworms. You may recall my last post about catching on plastics, we used the 6 inch sandworms cut in half. I guess the guys at Berkley may have realised the larger sized worms a bit too hard to cast and the need to cut the sandworms would warrant the release of a smaller size. Here is what they look like:

Berkley Gulp! 2

I put on a 1/32 oz Nitro jig head and started to jig. Action was quiet, but my brother managed to score a few yellowtail and bream on pilchards. After about half an hour, it started to school chopper tailor, all about the 20cm range. The tailor went crazy over the worm and basically smashed it each time on hitting the water. Here is a picture of one of the ones I caught (apologies for the picture quality, didn’t have my camera with me):

Tailor on Soft Plastics

All up, I caught about 15 in succession cast after cast, until the worm started to rip due to the sharp teeth of these feisty tailer. My brother only managed about 3 in that time, so maybe the claim that Berkley makes about outfishing bait is true after all! Anyway, it’s a different ballgame with other species like bream. I hope to report on more soft plastics in the near future.

Tailor and Trevally (14-Sep-08)

Took time in lieu on Monday after a long week’s work and went to go fish with my brother and dad down at Clifton Gardens. The weather had a beautiful spring feel about it, but the wind was quite strong at about 20km/h winds. We started at about 10am but the action was dead. Not a single bait fish in sight. After waiting until about 2pm, the action finally picked up. The trevally were schooling, all about the 25cm – 30cm size. They all put up a great fight on the light gear we had, and after dumping many back, we were able to come away with two legals at 32 and 35cm. My brother was also able to hook up on a legal tailor with a soft plastic, a Berkley Gulp 6″ sandworm cut in half. Towards the end of the day, we managed to get 3 squid, and put them out fresh in hope for a kingfish, but no luck there.

Tailor at Clifton Gardens

Trevally at Clifton Gardens

First catch on a soft plastic

Went for a quick fish down at Port Hacking and only brought squid jigs and soft plastics. Fairly new to the game of soft plastics but I have been very impressed with reading about the results of using them so I decided to give them a go myself. I bought a whole lot of different ones. I have two packs of Berkley Gulps and a few packs of Ecogear after a few recommendations from the guys down at BCF. I gave the Bug Ants a go. Here’s what they look like:

Bug Ants from Ecogear

Flicked it around for a bit and had a few hits which felt like small bream. Then I let it drag the bottom for a bit and jigged slowly and hooked up. Felt quite slow in its movement and fairly small. At first I thought it was either a sting ray or flathead but was surprised to see that it was a flounder:

Flounder from Port Hacking

A fair bit smaller than the previous one I caught, measured about 22cm so it was safely released. Jigged around for a bit more and to my surprise, saw a small squid latch on to it. Unfortunately I was not able to put a squid jig on quick enough before it lost interest on the soft plastic.